Saturday, April 4, 2009

Random comments

Ive been very loosely following the Ryan Shay half marathon training program. I think it is the June 2007 issue of Runnersworld. Today it called for 12 miles- 6 easy, and 6 at half marathon goal pace + 20 seconds. So just a little slower than race pace.

I chatted with Cynthia, Karen, and Julie for the first 5 miles. It was nice outside and already totally light outside when we left at 6:30 am.

I spent the last several miles thinking about Marcie, hills, and our race in 2 weeks. Im very excited for this event coming up so soon. Im still apprehensive about the hills. Marcie, have you been training on hills? Do you have hill strategy? Do you go down hill full speed? Or hold back with hopes of keeping your knees protected? Hmmm. Still not sure what to do here.

I still feel fairly inexperienced with half-marathons. Im wondering how much to taper the next 2 weeks? Just one week of taking it easy, right?

Im debating if I need to sub out my muscle class 3 days before the race- I always worry that Ill twist, pull, whatever something. Muscle always seems risky to me!

What do you guys avoid/do in the week/s leading up to a race?

And what about sex the night before a big race? A yes, or a big no? Okay- dont comment on that one! We can keep it G-rated! But something to think about! (o:

2 comments:

  1. Very excited for the race. Excited to see you. Excited to run with you. Do I go downhill full speed? Depends on how steep the hill is. If it's very steep, no. Save the knees. I can tell you would like to have a hill strategy. Hope you figure it out. I will just take the hills as they come - steep, major, minor or itsy bitsy - attack them one by one.

    As for the last issue, you will be at my house and Noah will be at your house so you won't have to worry about that for this race. Whew - you can put that one on your "do not worry about" list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not one to know much about pre-race stuff not having run many. I do know that hills KILL my knees, so I would avoid running them full speed. I guess how you run them race day would depend on where they lie on the course as well. My neighbor last year did recommend a short, quick run two days prior and total rest the day before.
    My advice for eating prior to the race is not to eat too much fiber the day before.

    ReplyDelete