Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Muscle Gridlock

Well today I was supposed to run 40, rest 1 and run 20.
This is the first session for Week 11 out of my 13 week program.
Up until this one, other than missing one workout, I've been able to follow the program.
But I could not make it 40 minutes without resting.  I don't know if I didn't warm up enough or stretch out enough, it could have been either, but after the first mile, I had to walk for a few minutes.  I couldn't take the muscle gridlock any longer.  It felt like running in wet cement.  I thought of all the people who don't like running and I thought, this is why!   If this is the feeling you get and you don't know there is something else then I wouldn't like it either.
I'm glad I know there is something else.  There are the days when the legs seem to move almost effortlessly, like they want to move, like moving them is releasing pent up energy!  When the rhythm of the feet seems light, like a race horse as opposed to plodding, like weighed down oxen.
My pace was also so slow I wondered if there was really a point in keeping up the "running", or as some would say, jogging form.  I thought of all the slow runners I've seen and have thought, well at least they are out there making an effort!  Well today I hope that is what many were thinking when they drove by me.
To be running so slow is actually really hard on me.
I had hoped by this point in my training I would be doing a lot better than I am.
I had hoped to be doing around 10 minute miles.
This is what I remember my pace to have been in the last 5K and first 10K that I did several years ago.
I haven't posted my race results to the side because I don't know them exactly.
But I remember doing the 5K in 29 minutes and something and doing the 10K in 63 minutes and something.
Well I need to get the notion of matching that time in this upcoming 10K out of my head but it is really hard.
I need to realize that for whatever reason, age or achilles issues or whatever, I'm just not there yet.  And then the added issue of higher altitude is really going to make the race more challenging.  And I need to be OK with that!  And I need to be OK that my daughter, DaLynn, is going to leave me in the dust and my sister-in-law who is also going to run will too I'm sure!
I need to be OK just running my own race, whatever it is that day!
But it is hard for me.  Hopefully writing this post will help me accept the fact of the matter!
I need to be happy just to be able to run!
I couldn't do that last fall!
Yeah, I can run!  Albeit some would call it a jog.
And although I would love to say I am up for the St. George Marathon!
I am not.  I need to keep my distance down while my achilles is still healing.
But I think it is healing, although very slowly.
And while it is healing, I am grateful that I can run.
Very very grateful!
Because there are mornings, although it didn't feel this way this morning,  when it feels so good I think I never want to stop!

2 comments:

  1. I think we are all awesome at any pace! :) Getting out there and giving it your best is what makes all of us great runners, joggers, whatever you want to call us! I myself could never even imagine getting my time below 30 min for a 5K - I just haven't been able to get that fast, but maybe one day.

    I, in fact, just got my Garmin on Friday and while I was setting it up I had to laugh at myself because their basic setting have my normal pace along the lines of "Jog" and "Slow Jog". Ok then...I'm a jogger, but it's running to ME. ;)

    BTW, I also really like the way you wrote out this blog...poetic-like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im really excited about your 10k. Its so fun to run in a new place, and get the adrenaline rush that comes with a race, and how super cool that your daughter is running the race also. Im really really hoping that my daughters, at least some of them, but how cool if it was all of them, want to run with me someday. So great! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete