This morning I did my speed intervals. I took the girls in the double stroller and off we went. This is the usual drill on thursday mornings. Its one of my favorite runs of the week. Not so much because of speedwork. But because of the girls, and being outside, and just getting to go when we are ready. No rigid schedule. That will change as the weather gets hotter, quicker in the day.
I like to do "Yasso 800's". Because I pretend that Im running a marathon. Only its over in less than 5 minutes! But I tell myself- "Run fast, this is the one that will tell me the time Im going to get at St George this year!" Its just a little motivational trick I use on myself. Its fun. Today I was excited, and have to brag a little, because I got a 3:33 on one of them! That's a (stroller) record for me!
So the theory is, that what you get in minutes and seconds, is what you will get in hours and minutes, on the full marathon. So if I had a good day, maybe I could get a 3 hour, 33 min. marathon. Only not really, because I cheat- Bart Yasso, he works up to doing 10 of these in a row. And he says to give yourself a recovery between each of them- the time that the last speed interval took you. So I shouldve only taken 3 minutes, 33 seconds to recover before the next speed interval.
My cheating method- I take a half mile to recover. I run fast for a half mile, and then I recover at a jog for a half mile. I also cheat because I only do like 4 or 5 hard intervals. Not 10.
So Im proud of my 3:33. And I think these (cheating) Yasso's are beneficial to my running. But I guess they wont trully predict my marathon time until I follow Bart's rules.
If you want to read about Yasso 800's, Ive included a link:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-624-0,00.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I ordered my Garmin today! Now I will know what an 800 actually is while I'm out there! ;) It will be so nice not to have to plot out courses to know the mileage of a new route. Thanks for the info on the Yasso stuff. I'm not doing much speedwork right now but good stuff for later!
ReplyDeleteI don't think you're cheating! You're just doing what is best to keep you feeling good and not hurt yourself while still getting the basics of the method in! :)
Im so excited about your new Garmin! It helps with speed work so much. And distance- when you want to do a really long run and dont want to drive it all out with your car. And I got more adventurous- off road routes.
ReplyDeleteWhich model did you get? After you get a chance to try it out a few times, youll have to give us some input!
I take longer recoveries like you, and the Yasso time prediction still seems to hold pretty well. I think you're in good shape for your race!
ReplyDelete