Saturday, April 18, 2009

Humbled.


















I was humbled by two things today.

First, the half-marathon. Have you ever felt like a race just chewed you up and spit you out? That's what I felt like the race did to me today. Instead of me taking charge and feeling like I conquered the half, it got the better of me. I had high expectations of running it in 1:45 or getting at least a PR but it just wasn't my day. I felt like I was strong and had prepared for this race better than any other but this day had another plan for me. I started too fast and soon my legs felt it. And I began to struggle and I struggled through the majority of the race. When I talked to Hannah after the race she kindly told me, "You looked so tired." I felt tired and it definitely showed. I am happy I finished. Happy it's over. Learn from this one. Onto the next race.

Second, my dear friend Lindy. Through the first 1-11 miles she stayed a couple of steps in front of me. Always looking back to check if I was still with her. I would give her the hand wave and yell, "Lindy GO! Just GO!" I wanted her to go for 1:45 or go for a PR but she hung with me until mile 11 when the couple of steps she was ahead of me became many, many steps. And I crossed the finish line 1 min and 53 seconds after her. It should have been a lot more. Here's to great friends who stick with you through good runs and not so good runs. Lind, you're as good as they come!

Other mentionables about the race:

* The hill around miles 11-12. Not super steep but after 11.5 miles of running, you hate seeing that incline up ahead of you.

* The trax ride to the start of the race was crowded to say the least. Imagine trying to fit 1000 runners into a train that is only supposed to fit 50. It seemed THAT crowded.

* Seeing Hannah and hearing her cheer us on. Definitely a highlight! She was so sweet and ran up behind me and said, "Do you need anything?"

* When we saw Hannah near Liberty Park (around mile 10.5), I took off my water belt and threw it to her saying, "I'll come and get it later!" About 25 steps later, I realized my car key was in the water belt. Luckily, we had Lindy's cell phone so my husband could be informed of my stupidity and remedy the situation by bringing us another key.
* Taking forever to find our vehicle in the Gateway Plaza parking. We couldn't remember where we parked. We both desperately need a sense of direction. :)

3 comments:

  1. Had to have a good laugh about the keys! Too funny! Congrats to both of you ladies for a job well done! Thanks for posting the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff and I checked your stats last night. Do you realize that you were in the top 5th of all runners? Your "humbled" run was far and beyond my "wahoo-I-finished-it" run. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that spit out feeling from one of my last workouts. But according to Hannah, sounds like you did better than you felt! Glad you and Lindy could make the memory! I like your forward looking attitude-on to the next one!
    Congratulations on running a 1/2 marathon-that is an awesome accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete