Since I ran the race on Sunday I wanted to mix up my workouts a little this week. For some reason I was feeling like I don't really like running and maybe I need to just back off for awhile so here's what I tried.
On Tuesday I rode a stationary bike at the gym for an hour. My heart rate peaked around 120 but I did get through several chapters of a pretty deep book.
On Wednesday I walked all over the sweaty, stinky zoo with my daughters kindergarten class. Jennifer and I decided it counted as a workout, especially since we had to carry all their stuff around and lift them up and down to see the animals.
On Thursday I decided to go ice skating. My 12 year old daughter is a figure skater so I spend a lot of time just sitting at the rink. Yesterday I got some rental skates and hit the public skate session while she had her private lesson. I wore my heart rate monitor so I could see how good of a workout it would be. I was surprised that after only two minutes my heart rate was over 140. It stayed between 140 and 150 as I whizzed around the rink for 28 minutes. I was feeling really good and thinking that I needed to do this every week when I hit a turn and all of a sudden my feet went out from under me and I landed hard on my tail bone! I gathered my pride as well as all the stuff that had fallen out of my pockets and made it to my feet. I really wanted to get off, but wasn't willing to let anyone see how bad it hurt (I know a lot of Mom's at the rink.) So I sucked it up and continued on for 12 more minutes. I have a new found respect for my daughter when she complains about a hard fall - I tried to tell her it happened while I was working on my double axle but she didn't believe me. :)
So, after my fall and a restless nights sleep from a sore butt I hit the road again today. Five slow, steady miles, no Yasso 800's, no speed work, no goal in mind. It was great. I guess I really do like running - I better sign up for St. George right now before I change my mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I busted my tail bone trying to roller-skate backwards several years ago and it hurt for years. I feel for you! Those falls are hard on your body and ego! Glad you still like running!
ReplyDeleteCynthia - I hear ya. I was just thinking the other day that I need to add some cross-training to my workouts so I don't get burned out on running.
ReplyDeleteWhew! Thank goodness you overcame that crisis before drawing me into it! I would cry real tears if you didnt want to be my running friend anymore! The 12 miles we did in Las Sendas a few weeks ago, that was the longest run anyone's done with me before. (okay, not true, once my bro. did 13 with me) A friend who can run that long, and is fun over the miles, that's a treasure!
ReplyDeleteI think its normal to want to take some time off after a big race. Im impressed youre totally back already- 5 yesterday, and 5.5 this morning! Youre such a Runner!!! (o:
Some other stuff that might help you mix it up if you get bored...
ReplyDeleteTim (my husband) and I have been trying to do a long hike together every week. He's not a runner anymore so we've found that this works for both of us. I don't run these hikes, but it will help build up muscles for running hills when you're doing some good inclines. We also get to spend time together and have some fun adventures!
Also, you can try pool running if you are sore. It will remove the impact but still let you get in your training. Therapists swear by it. If you don't have access to a pool shallow enough for you to go laps while touching bottom you can try an AquaJogger. My gym gets to 5 feet in the middle and I'm only 5'4" so it doesn't work well for me (have to run just half laps toward the end of the pool or just hold myself up along the side to simulate deep water running). I just ordered an AquaJogger so I can give up the fun noodle when my pool at home gets warmer and I'll have something that will work a bit easier. Those noodles always slip away! ;) Pool running is also a great alternative when it's super hot out here in AZ!
http://www.aquajogger.com/
Amazon has them for a decent price.