So, I've been trying to catch up on all the time I missed while recovering. I just read about the 16 mile Saturday day run and Marcie's long run from a week or so ago. I'm scared that St. George is less than two months away and I have yet to run over 12 miles in a long run. I am building my miles back up and can't build up too quickly and risk injury again. Saturday I ran about eight and felt ok, just sore calves. This weekend I have 10 planned. In two weeks is the Hobble Creek 1/2. So, how high do I dare jump after that and how soon and how far from the marathon to allow recovery time? I was already supposed to have run one 20 miler and one 18 miler by this point. So, yeah. I'm feeling the pressure and total lack of confidence.
P.S. I ran in Vegas this week. I am so impressed by you Arizona runners. It is WAY too hot to run outside!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don't forget to add Nevada to our side list! :) I'll keep filling that in come October for Ragnar up there.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I don't know what to tell you about your St. George training since I've never trained for a full yet, but I will say that there is no shame in walking some of those miles (in training and the race) to keep from reinjury! Good luck to you! I know you will finish it!
Hannah, listen to your body - which I'm sure you're doing. A general rule of training I've heard is that you should increase weekly training mileage by no more than 10 percent per week - but definitely listen to your body and what it can handle.
ReplyDeleteI like Bridge's advice, too.
Hannah, what about 10,13,15,17.5,20? And then taper. And Im with Bridgitte- walk sometimes if it helps. Have you read anything about the Jeff Galloway run/walk method? I havent, but I know it's out there.
ReplyDeleteAnd on the Hobble Creek Half- Id hobble and not run hard, if you are trying to avoid injury. Just take it real easy. I worry about you not getting "cut back" weeks at this point, but you can listen to your body and if things are going okay, just get that mileage in- whether it be running or walking.
St George will be a fun experience. For a first time marathon, try not to have a hard time goal. Marathons are a learning process- I hate to say it, cause some people want to do it once, and check it off the bucket list. But I think the first marathon is just one step in figuring out what the marathon is about.
Im no expert- in the end you should do what feels right. (o: