Saturday, March 7, 2009

What does the map say now?

Im so excited to have experienced my first real trail run! I mean, I run the "Provo River Trail" every time I visit Utah, but it is paved and GORGEOUS, but still not what I consider a "trail run". Today's trail definitely qualified as trail!

Cynthia planned a field trip. I was the only one she could convince that a "hilly field trip" would be any fun. So the two of us got in the car at 6:15 for a road trip out to the mountains. Our local mountains are pretty in a deserty, cactusy kind of way. It was really very pretty and nice out.

We had to carry a map on us, and consult it regularly as we kept coming to forks in the trail. Cynthia was the map expert. Id look at the map and shake my head, agreeing thoughtfully. But really not very confidant in my own powers of direction.

We experienced hills. Small rolling hills, and sandy stretches that challenged our ankles.

It was so fun to think more about the terrain, and the new scenery, then my usual mile markers and the pace on my watch.

Very fun!!!

2 comments:

  1. Field trips are great! The morning was beautiful - just a little nip in the air but not cold. We were the first people on the trail, in fact we only saw one other group all day. I could have lived without the sand but the terrain was very pretty and it was nice to have a change. I definitely want to make this a more regular part of my running routine. Thanks for joining me Lindy. My ankles are still cursing me but I'm sure they'll be ready for more hills next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I so wish I could have been there to run with the two of you. Although I would not have been a help with following the map in any way.

    The "trail" I run isn't a mtn trail - it's a paved trail exactly like the Provo River one - paved, (generally) safe and I won't get lost. I need to get online and look for some mtn trails around here!

    ReplyDelete