Hello all! I'm Bridgitte (Bridge from here on). I've known Lindy for about 9 years now because I've worked with her husband and brother-in-laws at Sage. I'm excited to be invited to blog and have sooooo enjoyed reading through everyone's posts, but I think my feelings are similar to Bryn's in that I'm somewhat intimidated. ;) I've never really blogged before, but now I have a reason to give it a shot! Thanks Lindy!
Just so you know a little bit about me...I was born and raised in Phoenix, AZ and still live here (in Glendale now). I just got married in December to my best friend and man of my dreams (awwww), Tim. I started running in June of 2006 - um, who in their right mind joins a running group in Arizona in the middle of June?? Not sure what I was thinking! I have never been athletic in all of my life and running was extremely difficult in the beginning, plus the heat was a killer. Nevertheless, we kept up our meets and our training and I ran my first 5K in the ARR Summer Series, then a 10K in Prescott, and my first 1/2 marathon the following January (PF Chang's). Building up to the next level always feels great! Now here we are a couple years later with three 1/2 marathons down, a 189 mile relay completed, and another 202 mile relay to go this weekend!
My last 1/2 marathon was just last weekend - The Lost Dutchman in Apache Junction. It was absolutely beautiful and absolutely grueling at the same time! I would love to do it again if I train longer before it, but I might just opt for the 8K or the 10K next year. I’ve only been back to training since we came back from our honeymoon (so only about 5 weeks and only up to a 10 mi long run prior to the race). I’m doing the Ragnar Relay this Friday and Saturday so just decided to throw in the LD ½ on a whim.
The course is just gorgeous and you run East straight toward the Superstition Mountains then turn South right along the mountain for about 2.5 miles to the turnaround. Perfect weather – cold morning, but you warm right up by mile 3. I had a great start and I was on track for a PR by the turnaround if I was able to keep up the pace. It’s an out and back which I love because you know once you’ve hit the turnaround you can do what is up ahead because you just did it in reverse. My running partner, Suzanne, had stuck with me until about 4.5 which pushed me a little faster but probably too much faster on the downhill. I was wearing a brace on my right knee which is the usual for me, but not the left. My knees and my patellar tendinitis weren’t ready for the hills, so by mile 10 I considered finding a medic and a ride to the finish, but I didn’t come all that way for nothing. I was getting that medal! (One of the best parts of doing any of their races – loved my 10K medal from last year and this one was even better! Check them out…http://www.lostdutchmanmarathon.org/medals.htm). I decided to limp my way to the end and run on my left tiptoe wherever I could which was mostly on the remaining uphill portions. It was awful looking down on my watch at a 17 minute mile – I could have walked it faster than that if it weren’t for the limp and the pain. By mile 12 I was fighting back tears and feeling my muscles tearing, but I had to finish no matter how long it took! I got to the finish to see my friends and a medal waiting for me! And, oh, let’s not forget the food they have at the end is GREAT! Hot potato and cheese burritos, chips & salsa, yogurt, pretzels, cookies, chips – all sorts of stuff! Mmmmm!
It was all funny in the end because weeks ago I told my friends that came out for the race, “I’ll be lucky if I finish that thing in 3 hours!” My time was 2:48! I suppose that beat my joking goal, but I was really hoping for 2:23 to make a new PR. Probably not the best idea to attempt to PR a race with those kind of hills on 5 weeks of training. Live and learn! I am just glad I’m off the painkillers now and can't wait for another flat course race. ;)
Thanks again for inviting me to join the blog! Hope this wasn't too much for a first post!!! I'll definitely have some good stories to come from the relay this weekend as well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Im really impressed with how many races youve done since just starting less than 3 years ago! And youve picked challenging races too!
ReplyDeleteDoes Tim run?
The Relay sounds very challenging- running on sore muscles for the 2nd and 3rd leg. I love the idea of a good challenge. Ill be thinking about you friday and saturday!
Tim ran once upon a time - he actually did triathlons! He just has too many problems with his back now that he can't run because of the impact. He still swims and bikes when he can but he doesn't race anymore. He is incredible support for me though since he has been there and done it! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Bridge - welcome to the blog! So excited to hear about all your runs and races. Have you recovered from the Lost Dutchman completely? I'm intrigued by these relays - haven't done one yet. How many miles do you run on your leg of the relay and how many turns do you take? We have a relay in UT called the Wasatch Back in June. Maybe I should look into it. Good luck this weekend!
ReplyDeleteWasatch Back is run by the same company - Ragnar. My race is called Del Sol. I've heard the Wasatch Back course is beautiful up there! I haven't run it but I've looked at the course map and know some of the legs up there. You should totally look into it! It is a blast! A lot of work to organize though. I was a team captain last year and it was a bit hectic. This year I'm just a member of the 12 person team giving as much advice as I can since myself and my running partner Suzanne ran it last year (we are both on the team this year). 12 runners plus van drivers, 202 miles from Prescott to Mesa, 3 legs each of varying lengths and difficulty. Mine total 16.2 miles – 5.3mi Hard leg, 7.5mi Hard leg, and 3.4mi Moderate leg. Still taking it easy after Lost Dutchman so I can be fresh and ready for Friday. I practiced running with 2 braces last week and was pretty sore still on Saturday, but have been feeling better the last few days. Hope that the knees hold up well for all 3 legs and I'll be slowing down on the downhill! Lesson learned. :) Stories to come after the weekend! Thanks for the good luck wishes!
ReplyDelete