Monday, February 16, 2009

Bryn's Intro.

Hi running Gals!

My name is Bronwyn and I'm a friend of Lindy's and that is how I came to be blogging on this website.  I don't think I have run alongside Lindy yet, and maybe never will, although we've talked about running quite a bit.  I have great aspirations for running but have yet to realize them.

So writing this is pretty intimidating.  I'm not qualified to be writing a blog along with others who have so many running accomplishments.  But I sure enjoy reading what you've written.

I am pretty much a "wantabe" runner.

My earliest memory of running and loving it was when I was in the 2nd grade and on recess we played a game that we called "Little House on the Prairie", and other than that being a current TV show I have no idea why we called it that.  It was basically a game of tag with the boys catching the girls and then taking them to an area that was for their keeping while the rest of the girls were rounded up.  I remember being frustrated that not many boys were pursuing me but realizing that since they could never catch me they quickly lost interest.  I remember letting myself get caught a few times just so I could be part of the game, but I much preferred to run for my life and stay beyond their grasp.

My next memory was in either 3rd or 4th grade.  My teacher put a map of the United States up on the wall and told us we were going to record our laps at recess and see if we could run across the U.S.   I thought this was totally cool!  Of course it would be a class effort but I was always so proud to say how many laps I had done at recess.  I remember going round and round and loving it, long after most had lost interest.

My next memory is that of a Community St. Patrick's Day race, when I was around 9 or 10, that was probably a mile long.  I was sure I had a chance of winning!  HA, HA!!  Arriving after the race had started quickly banished all those unfounded expectations even though I remember joining the race late and finishing all the same.

Things actually went worse from there.  The next memory was in Junior High with the dreaded MILE.  All I can remember is my throat, lungs and legs burning during that early morning PE class!  It was awful!  I hated it!  A mile was sooooo longg!!  I was so glad when the torture was over!  I have thought since what a great way to teach people to hate running.  Force them to run for a grade when they are totally out of shape!  Great system our schools are sometimes!

Next, I remember when I was a freshman in High School, having a Young Men/Young Women Activity that was a Mini-Olympics.  I don't remember exactly how I got talked into running the "mile" but I think it was by the only other girl that ran.  She was a couple years older and had run cross-country and all the rest of the competitors were boys.  And all I saw of the competition after the whistle blew was their backs.  I gave it my all but I came in dead last with a time of 7:30 minutes.  When I think about it now, I think that wasn't so bad!  But at the time I didn't think that, all I knew then was that I was dead last!!  And not wanting to repeat that experience again I steered clear of running, leaving that for those who were fast.

It wasn't until I was a Senior in HS and had a boyfriend who was into running did I recall that once upon a time I had loved running.  With his encouragement I went out and enjoyed running for it's own sake, not for the PE teacher or for the grade or to beat my peers.  I really loved it!

And Cynthia, speaking of running on Sunday, I remember one time I ran on a Sunday when I was a Senior in HS and had a similarly wonderful time!  And then I remember telling my boyfriend about this wonderful run I had that morning and he was like, "You ran on Sunday?"  It hadn't even occurred to me that that was something I shouldn't do.  Or that someone would think I shouldn't do.  To me it had been a very spiritually enriching experience as I appreciated the gorgeous sunrise etc, etc.  Over the years and during my moments of running I can recall waking up on several Sunday mornings and thinking how great it would be to get a run in but not doing it because it was a Sunday.   But that is more because of what others think.  Personally I don't think running is necessarily an inappropriate Sabbath activity.  I think it has to do with the type of run it is.  I don't have it all worked out in my mind yet, but I think it is great that you had a wonderfully inspiring run!  And I can totally relate.

Well I think I've rattled on enough for now!  But thanks for letting me be a part of this!


2 comments:

  1. Bronwyn, You are most certainly qualified to be writing a running blog entry. I always like to talk to you about running, because you totally get it! Unlike some people (my hubby) who try to tell me that I only like it when its over, you always get excited talking about the process- the feeling during it. I know you understand. And Im impressed with your 7:30 mile!

    Thanks for sharing your running history! Its always interesting to me to hear the process by which one gets addicted to running.

    And you will run with me someday soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Bronwyn! I didn't know you were a runner. Of course Lindy and I walked together for a year and never realized we were both runners until I moved from the neighborhood. I loved the trip through your running memories. It makes me want to revisit when I started to love running.

    ReplyDelete