So I'm sitting here eating a bowl of ice cream and watching Biggest Loser with my family. Why do I feel ok about that? Because I ran 5 miles this morning. So thanks to my friends that make that possible for me. I wouldn't run without them. Running is a large part social for me, although I do love to exercise and I REALLY enjoy racing, and working towards a goal (the next race). You can't really work towards anything when you're spinning along on an eliptical machine. I started running with Lisa about two years ago and I've built myself up to be able to tag along with Lindy now too. :)On Saturday I ran the Islands 5k which is a nice little community race. It was fun to see a bunch of people from the neighborhood/church/school all together to run a race. I was SOOOOOO proud to see my little boy (9) finish 2nd behind a 20 something year old man in the one mile fun run! I was literally tearing up as I headed over to the start line of the 5k.
I did this race two years ago - my FIRST ever race and a time around 34 minutes. This year I felt like a runner, I knew I could beat my last time no problem. I fell in with Lisa next to two friends I haven't run with before. I wasn't really trying to stay with the group, but we all stayed together for the entire race. I think it was good to have them there. While I couldn't really chit chat, it was nice to have the distraction, and like I said before, I run for social reasons anyways! I tried to only look at my pace each half mile and every time was happy. I shouldn't have told Lisa how fast we were because she decided that we were too fast and dropped back about half way through. I felt pretty good for the first two miles but the last mile I was definitely struggling. Once we turned into the home stretch I had a little surge of energy and pushed to the end. I felt really wierd for the first minute or so after finishing - I thought, so this is what it feels like to work so hard you're gonna puke? I was lightheaded and my face and arms were tingly, so clearly I worked hard! I finished in 28:30 which was a 9:11 pace. I was very happy with that, as I'm pretty sure I shaved an entire 2 minutes per mile off my last official 5k.
I was thinking it might be fun to have an area to post our race stats on here. Just for fun. I'm totally competitive, but another thing I love about running is that I'm basically just competing with myself. I don't care if I beat anyone else (OK, maybe I care a little...) but I REALLY want to beat my last time every time I race. I also love hearing other peoples successes and seeing what races they do, when, where and why. (By the way, in the picture I'm the runner on the left - this was after finishing my first half marathon with Lisa and Lindy.)
9:11, that's Awesome!!! I like the sick feeling at the end- like you really gave it your all!
ReplyDeleteAs Brad Bell would say, "you left it all out there".
I was wondering whether to have a bowl of icecream tonight. I too watched the Biggest Loser, and already ate creamy fettucini for dinner. But now that you reminded me of our early morning run....I think Ill go eat that icecream!
Didn't catch the biggest loser tonight but we did watch a little American Idol. No one else is a fan?
ReplyDeleteI made a little section on the right to post your race stats. I had to enter something in the body or it wouldn't let me save it. So feel free to edit your section - add previous races and times, etc. Let me know if you can't edit it. Or you can delete it entirely if you don't want your race stats posted. I will post my stats once i run some races.