Monday, May 4, 2009

An Unexpected Running Expense

Every Saturday I drive over to a paved running trail about 15 minutes from where I live and go on a long run. I don't have to worry about traffic lights, traffic, nasty exhaust fumes or getting ran over. I can "zone out" and just focus on running. This past Saturday was no different. I headed to the trail and had a great 9.5 mile run. Until, that is, I got back to my car and discovered that my Honda Pilot had been broken into. Some jerk had broken the passenger side window and decided to browse our belongings and help himself. UGHHHHH! Can't people leave other people's belongings alone???

The only thing he took was my water belt - which I left on the passenger seat. He decided to leave the three car seats, double stroller, stereo, cds, granola bars and house keys alone - thank goodness (the last three items were not in plain sight). Probably would have seemed too suspicious carrying the carseats and pushing a double stroller with no kids. Luckily our insurance covered everything above our $100 deductible and they had a company fix it at our home that same day. Convenient yet inconvenient.

When I reported the break-in to the police he asked me how often I go to the trail. "Every Saturday." "Uh, you may want to change your routine up." My thoughts exactly. Now I'm on the lookout for a good place to run. One where I can run a good 20-22 miles without any traffic lights, exhaust fumes, worrying about getting ran over AND no jerks that take other people's belongings.

6 comments:

  1. Oh no, Marcie! Isn't that such a scarey thing to have happen? I'm just glad you were not hurt and that you didn't lose more stuff. We for sure need to scout out a good route to do together. I'm just not up to 20 miles yet. I guess if we're willing to drive a bit, we could find some open farmland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc, Im SORRY! That is Horrible! Completely uncool! Why do there have to be "bad guys" in the world? My daughter Kelly wants to be a lion when she grows up and she says that she will eat all/but only the bad guys. Sorry she hasnt cleaned up the town in time to save your water belt!

    What a weirdo- taking a water belt and leaving everything else. Makes you wonder if it was some joke- a gang initiation thing or something? Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a horrible feeling to have stuff stolen. We've had our car stolen out of our driveway. To know someone that creepy was so near our house was so icky. We've had someone steal stuff out of my husband's truck, while it sat in our driveway, different house. And more recently a few months ago, my son stuck his duffel bag with new $50 football cleats under our car while we went into a Burger King and it was gone when we came out! In Kohl's the other day I someone in handcuffs with police. My daughter who used to work at Mervyn's said it happened quite regularly there. Oh how nice it would be to live in a world where there was no stealing. It is such an awful feeling! Glad YOU are OK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are all an ispiration to me. Hope to be ready to run a 5K as soon as I can find one. Mom is the one you shouldn't have told about your break in. Know exactly how you feel. So glad he wasn't hiding in your backseat when you returned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! That is awful! Different type of water bandit here! :( I'm glad they didn't get anything else but it is still just creepy!

    ReplyDelete