Saturday, May 23, 2009

Has Everyone Given Up the Sport?

I haven't been on here in weeks so I was sure there would be something new today. What's going on? Are we all as busy as I've been in the last few weeks? I'm happy to report that even with all the "busy-ness" I have still been running. Here are some highlights!

We went camping last week and ran 8 miles around the campsite on Saturday (8 one mile loops.) About half a mile of that loop was a pretty good hill that kicked my butt each time but it was fun. I'm glad Lindy, Karen and Bronwyn were there for moral support and thank goodness for our new camp shower. While primitive I think all of us agreed that we felt oddly refreshed after our very public shower.

On Tuesday we did our normal early morning run. It was a little warm and humid. I had to stop and walk after 4 miles and then came home and got sick. I thought it was just from the heat, but later found out there was a bug going around, that made me happy that it isn't the end of outdoor running this summer after all.

Thursday I ran at the gym, hours before we found out that our gym is CLOSING! How am I going to train for St. George all summer in the heat. I need those treadmills. I guess we'll be driving the 20 minutes to the other location at least for the summer.

Today I ran about 9 miles. The weather has been unseasonably cool but humid. It made for a nice run today - I know the outdoor runs will be ending soon. We had some good conversation this morning. There are some things you only talk about on a long run.

I love this sport! So how is your training going?

3 comments:

  1. Cynthia, Good recap of our recent running history! I did enjoy my outdoorsy post-run shower! Thanks for supplying that luxury!

    I too have been wondering how everyone's training is going-
    Marcie are you ready for your Memorial Race? and have you been back to your trail where you got broken into? Or found a new location? Hannah, how is St George training? Bridge, which race are you training for presently? Bronwyn, what is your next running goal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed no one had posted in a while - but I was confident everyone was still running and loving it - right??

    It has started to get warm in the mornings so I no longer have to run with a jacket and I always think of you az girls and know that if it's warm here - it's extra, extra warm there.

    I'm ready for my half-marathon tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

    I've started to get some little running aches and pains - ugh! One morning after a 7 miler, my knee was feeling weird. Wasn't hurting just felt weird. I looked at my knee and there was a perfectly round ball a little bigger than a marble protruding from my knee bone. I showed my husband and we couldn't figure out what it was. He thought it was some knee cartilage or tendon that got rubbed wrong and swelled up. It eventually went down and hasn't happened again. But when I ran my 14-miler last week, my knee started hurting towards the end. Do I need a knee brace? And my left arch has started to hurt. I went and bought some arch-support inserts for my running shoes and that seems to help but the pain hasn't gone away. Do I sound like an old, aging person . . . or a seasoned runner? Probably the former. Despite the minor aches, I'm still running and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear the gym is closing! That stinks! :( Haven't given up...just didn't want to feel as if I was taking over the blog since I already had 3 in a row! ;)

    ReplyDelete