Monday, September 7, 2009

Late Start at Saguaro Labor Day 8 mile Race

Noah and I decided to take the girls to Tucson for a labor day weekend getaway at a favorite resort. There was an 8 mile race taking place this weekend, which was perfect for me- the typical distance I would do on a tuesday, so why not do it one day early and get some new scenery? I was especially excited about the elevation picture. This would be a hilly run, and just the kind of experience my legs needed in preparation for St George.

I planned to run the race, but decided that the fee I paid was not enough to worry about if I decided to sleep in on race day instead. Noah laughed at me whenever I mentioned that option. The night before there was a lightning storm, and so I still went to bed sunday night not wholly committed to this run.

I kept reminding myself to take it as a training run. So when I needed to go to the bathroom, just minutes before the race start, I left my place toward the beginning of the line up. The porto potty line was still long. The gun went off and the girl in front of me said "oh well" and left running. I went into the porto- potty. I started to get nervous about how long it was taking me, and I heard them about to start the gun for the 2 mile "Fun Run". I didnt want to get in the wrong race, so I left my business unresolved and took off.

There were 2 paths, and at this point I couldnt even tell which path my race had taken. I made a guess- to the left. Then I took off like a bat out of hell. I had to catch the group. I was getting deja vu to my very first 5k back in college where I got lost and came in (probably) last. I quickly caught up with a group of runners and felt like I was in the right place.

Slow down now, Lindy, I told myself. This is a training run for you, not a race. But I noticed that I was only passing people, and not being passed by anyone. This was the benefit of starting dead last. Nobody faster than you started in back of you.

But it became my mantra. "Dont get passed!" I even tried not to pass anyone until I thought I could hold my gain.

I remembered Cynthia giving me a quote once that said not to count out loud the people you are passing- thats just rude. I wondered if it was somehow rude to count the people who were passing me.

At mile 5 a guy did pass me. And then at mile 7, another guy passed me. Just before mile 8, the finish line, I saw the shadows of 2 guys in back of me start to sprint toward the finish line. Dont let them pass me, I thought, and I started to sprint too. I sprinted around the corner, and my watch said 8.1 miles, and I saw a group cheering, and I thought I was done! So I let up my pace. But then I saw the finishing arch ahead of me- oops. I had to run a stretch further. So those 2 other guys passed me and beat me. I got passed 4x in all, and none of the 4 were women.

I felt presumptuous waiting around to see if I got an age group award. But I thought there might be a chance that I did, since it was a small race. The race had just short of 900 registered to run. There was a chance that nobody in the 35-39 female age group had entered...so I waited around for awhile and was excited to get 3rd place in my age group. My prize was a racing singlet and a flashing clip on light. Cool.

I enjoyed the race. The hills were challenging. The mountains were beautiful. The paved trail was nice. The other runners were friendly. I look forward to running in Tucson again sometime in the future.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds nice! (except for the potty stress)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!!! That is amazing work there for a "training run"! ;) I can't wait to see what happens now when you're actually "racing"! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speedy pants! Glad this had a happy ending - I thought you were going to say you ended up joining the half-marathon or marathon group. That would have been a bit more miles than you bargained for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I were a competitive person. I just don't care enough for it to motivate me! I'm so impressed by the 3rd place finish. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so amazing! 3rd place with the first few minutes in the porta-potty? I don't know if I can run with you anymore. I do like to think that you are getting such good race times because I force you to slow down those long runs! That's a good thing, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia, Dont threaten to not run with me anymore! I missed running with you this week! Since our shedules just didnt work out...

    ReplyDelete