Sunday, June 21, 2009

I Prefer the Dark

Most weekdays, I go running WAY early. It is usually nice and dark when I head out. It is also nice and quiet -- no other runners around. I've decided I make a much better solitary runner because I'm so stinking competitive. Whenever I see another runner, I ALWAYS compare my speed to hers/his. I also ALWAYS think I need to be faster than she/he. I believe I've mentioned before that I am not a fast runner, but I certainly tend to think I'm Marian Jones when it comes to another runner in my path. Sometimes it takes all of my conscious effort to stop my brain from thinking that I need to outrun the unsuspecting foe. The worst is when I get passed, especially when the person who passes me seems to be running at a turtle's pace, because of course that means that I am running at much slower than a turtle's pace. On Saturday, I was injured and was super, extra, way slow. Everyone passed me - the old guy, the one chubbier than I, the one with a dog, the soccer player, and the super sprinter. I had to concentrate on my book, think of taking it easy on my leg, and cheer those runners on. Good for them for getting out of bed! Good for them for running faster than I was running! Good for them for not turning around to stick out their tongues and mock me!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for running while you're injured! What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My left leg, near the groin, is so sore I can barely walk sometimes. Uphill running is actually less painful, so maybe I'll get some great muscle and hill work in while it heals. :) Any advice??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I havent heard of a running injury that high...did you feel it happen? Or was it gradual? Have you googled it?

    I understand your (competitive spirit). I dont think I have the drive to pass my sisters out there, but I LOVE to pass guys. Especially guys who LOOK like they are in good shape.

    A guy in our ward passed me on Saturday, and it was all I could do not to (make a fool of myself), by turning on "Race gear".

    ReplyDelete