After my second leg, I was feeling pain around my ankles, and on the inside of one of my knees. I was having a hard time walking. I still had one more run to go. I knew from past experience that if I could just run through the first half mile of pain, then I would numb up and be okay. Afterwards Id just have to deal with the consequences. I started my last run and then after not too long I had to stop at a traffic light and cross the street. A speedy guy ran up to the stop light, and a girl with a bright obnoxious Boston Marathon jacket. (I hope to own one myself someday soon:) I wondered if Boston girl might be a similar pace as me. I tried to start up a conversation, and thought I might run with her for awhile. But she was not interested in talking so I took off. Speedy guy raced on ahead of me and was soon out of sight. I don’t know how far behind me Boston girl was. I never looked back.
My mantra I kept telling myself was “You don’t have to run this damn fast”. My mantra wasn’t helping. I couldn’t slow down. My ankle and knees were feeling fine now. But it was hot and windy and noisy. It was noisy because the whole run was right along the busy highway. My girls weren’t allowed to stop and support me along this leg. I had my waist pack and water with me. I tried to ration my water to last through the 8.4 miles. There was one water stop.
I saw allot of “roadkill”, and hoped that it wouldn’t be me! I was running with traffic, and couldn’t see the oncoming cars that were going by.
After half way I was feeling a little nautious. I wondered if eating something would help, or make it worse. I choked down some shot blocks. They did seem to help. When I went through the water station, I used the cup of water to dump on me.
I had my music on and couldn’t tell that I was breathing hard. We had to stop and cross the road just maybe a half mile from the end. When I stopped by some other runners, I pulled my headphones out to be social. As I pulled my earphones out, I realized that I was breathing very hard! Its nice that music masks that from myself.
It felt good to run through the finish chute and know that my work was completed. Now I could just cheer on our last four runners.
I had a really great time at Ragnar. Im greatful to Bridge for being such a knowledgeable, great team captain. You got us to do this Bridge- Thankyou, thankyou. It was a very memorable, fun experience!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for the report Lindy. Sure sounds like a fun adventure. After April 19th, you will be the owner of an obnoxious bright BM jacket and that will be completely awesome!
ReplyDeleteThat's right! Your Boston jacket is right around the corner (and the oh-so-rare Boston 2 Big Sur jacket if you do them both!). Bragging rights forevah. ;-)
ReplyDeleteLove your blog!
SD