Van 1: Cynthia, Bryn, Karen, Sharon, Sarah, Lisa
Van 2: Jen, Me, Justine, Sarah, Bridge, Beth
Our van supported Karen along much of her first run. She was runner 3. She was killing some really big hills. It was fun to see her fly up those hills. She was unstoppable. I ran over and tried to see if she needed a gu or anything- all she needed was to give me her "bling" ring to carry. I tried to run with her for a few minutes, but she was going toooooo fast, and blew me off- good girl Karen! We drove slowly at one point so we could see her pass "Rainbow Bright".
I was runner 8. The second in my van. My first leg was 5.5 miles. It was rolling hills. I felt pressure to start things fast. I had estimated my time to be 8 minute miles, and didnt want to disappoint the team by putting us behind estimated schedule. I considered this a "short run" and knew I wouldnt have time to up my average late in the run. So I started out fast and just kept charging the hills. There were about 5 big hills. About half way through it I felt warmed up enough to start enjoying it. At the end I felt like my face was totally flush. I felt really hot for a long time afterwards. Bridge said that I wasnt all red, but I think she was just being nice.
We quickly realized that some of the other teams were checking us out- considering us competition. We walked past the "gingerbread girls" while they were talking about us "they have those sparkles on the back of their shirts, and those sparkly ribbons in their hair- watch out for them and dont let them pass you!" Bridge called them out- she turned around "hey, are you guys talking about US???" They looked a little awkward about getting caught.
We kept seeing "the Brides" and Beth's friend's team "Los Dos Chicos", I think was their name.
We saw one guy sitting with his naked bum over the curb, bum facing the road, pants around his ankles, reading a paper- for a long time! And it was really cold outside! His team was called something like "Dont take no crap"....something like that.
Everyone was pretty nice- other teams would drive past and give you a cheer. But there was a little spirit of competition in the air too.
Our van stopped at this quaint little old-fashioned convenience store (think Little House on the Prairie General Store) to change into running clothes. Jen was the first runner from our van.
I just realized Im kind of typing this all out of order. Ill be more coherent with my next entry:)
Stay tuned for my 2nd leg entitled "1:37:13 a.m. Saturday, and tragedy befalls Ragnar"...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You all are awesome flying up those hills! Some very creative team names. Thanks for the post. Can't wait for more.
ReplyDeleteI loved when Karen passed Rainbow Bright! hehehe Lindy, you did awesome vs the hills! It was fun cheering you on and having you run under our BLING flag during that leg. I also want to mention that the Gingerbread Girls' response was, "Oh, we were just saying how we're always right behind you guys." THAT'S RIGHT! BEHIND US! ;) And yes, Skull Valley is one of my fave parts of the race. That little general store is super cool...so was that bath tub and the stove!
ReplyDelete