Since the St. George Marathon I haven't had much to say on this blog. I was sort of training for a half marathon - but backed out of it. So now I've been sort of training for the Ragnar relay but just realized the other day that it's only a month away! I've also realized that I have a couple of hard legs so I better get moving and do something besides my two easy runs during the week and a long run on Saturday.
Lisa and I went to the Islands track and did speedwork today. We did 6 X 800's at goal 5k pace with a two minute jog between. It's funny how the third interval was the hardest. I'm pretty sure I'll be sore tomorrow but it was really nice to change things up. Do you all do speedwork? How often and what?
Have a great week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I still think you should do Lost Dutchman:) You could be one of the first to try out the new course!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it nice to have a break from the hardcore training? I, too, enjoyed a break after St. George, only running about three days a week. But now I'm in full-on training for Big Sur and running five days a week. The training program I'm following has me do speedwork once and sometimes twice a week. I will definitely need some speedwork under my belt if I'm going to keep up with Lindy at Big Sur. Hmmmm, that's wishful thinking. I'm sure I'll be eating her dust the whole way.
ReplyDeleteRagnar is going to be a party! Take lots of pictures so those of us who aren't running it can run it vicariously.
We typically do speedwork on the track Tuesdays and Thursdays. It varies. Sometimes we break up the track into 4 pieces - the 2 long parts and then the 2 curved end pieces. Sometimes we will do fast through the long parts, easy through the curves. Other times we will do lap or mile repeats with rest in between. Sometime we will just do a certain amount of minutes with rest in between. It's all working! I really started into getting faster by sustaining a 6:30 pace for a certain amount of seconds, then walk to rest and each time I would make that interval longer. Now at the track I try to keep the speedwork in the 7's if I can keep it up. It all just depends on how far and how long we're going for.
ReplyDelete