On Saturday, I ran the Utah Valley Marathon. I had high hopes of Boston qualifying but that didn't happen. I know Lindy and Karen are going so I can live Boston through them!
The race started at 6:00 in the morning and it started right on time.
I tucked in beside the 3:40 pacer and we were off.
I have a tendency to want to take-off quickly at the first and the pacer helped to hold me back. He varied between an 8/min/mile to an 8:30 min/mile. Sometimes he got up to 7:50.
I didn't carry water so I stopped at all the water stations to drink.
As we were coming to the aid stations, the pacer would sprint ahead of us, grab his drink and then he said he would slow down so we could all catch him. But I found myself sprinting after the aid stations to catch him. I didn't like this method because I knew that towards the end, my legs wouldn't have any sprinting action left. I stuck with him until around mile 15 and then I kept him in my sight until mile 18.
At mile 18, my right calf and quad started cramping.
There were some major uphills and downhills on the course. Both did a number on my quads and calves.
At mile 20, I started alternating between running and walking.
The last 5 miles of the race are flat and a straightshot to the finish. I wished I had felt good enough to take advantage of the flat part and run hard to the finish. Next time.
The weather was fantastic.
Not too hot and sometimes overcast so you couldn't feel the sun beating down on you.
When my legs started cramping, I knew that I wasn't going to get my bq time.
So my new goal was to try and come in under four hours.
Finish time: 3:58:40.
Just barely.
Utah Valley Marathon: check.
Next up: Park City marathon in August.
Awesome job, Marcie! You are amazing fast, bq yet or not! Sounds like a nice race with good weather. I like their slogan..."pain you enjoy." LOL Do you get a special medal for doing 4 in a series?
ReplyDeleteMarc, thanks for posting!!! You are an amazing runner! I loved being so excited for you in the weeks leading up and the day of! I think I got a healthy dose of adrenaline just vicariously!!!
ReplyDeleteHey Marcie, you don't know me but I have a friend that knows Lindy I think. We also ran the Utah Valley Marathon and I loved it. I posted about it on my blog at http://live-to-run-and-run-to-live.blogspot.com I really enjoyed reading your experience at the same race. Rhonda
ReplyDelete